Thursday, July 18, 2013

Don't Roll Your Eyes


I was gonna call this post, 'Slow Your Roll', but I didn't know if anyone would get it.  Either way, the point of this post is: Don’t minimize what is a big deal in their world. You'll get the 'roll' reference in a bit...
If you have ever uttered the words, “In a few years, it won’t even matter...” (or something along those lines) in a conversation with your child, I am talking to you.   
I don’t know about you, but there are plenty of things from my teenage years (…just a few years ago ;)…) that are pretty embarrassing.  I can remember many many things that were devastating when I was in middle/high school (from friends, to boys, to grades, and on and on), that just make me grin now.  When I was in college, I found an old journal of mine from high school and as I read through it I winced and laughed at all the wildly dramatic things I wrote.  It’s true.  In a few years, those things didn’t matter.  In fact, they even seem a bit ridiculous.  But, at the time, they did matter and the pain I felt was real.  They seemed like everything. 
I have had many o’ students tell me that they can’t talk to their parents about the big stuff going because their parents just think it’s not important.  Again, I totally get where this comes from.  When I started in ministry a million years ago, I often said the same thing.  However, I soon realized just telling them it would get better wasn’t enough.  It isn’t a bad starting place, but it is important to understand that in their world, it matters NOW, and that is what we have to help walk them through.  Sure, in a few years they might be able to laugh with you about it, but for now, that does not provide much comfort. 

So, fight the desire to roll your eyes when your child tells you about the girl or boy they met a day ago that has already broken their heart, or they tell you about the newest school drama.  Instead let them share their heart.  Listen.  Don’t feel like you have to fix it.  Just hear them, let them know that you are there for them, that they are loved, and walk through it with them no matter how long it takes.  In the end, you can remind them to hold on and it will get better, but in the meantime, make sure they know you will be there as much and as often as they need you.

As always I would love to hear your thoughts! Leave a comment! 

4 comments:

  1. Love your wisdom! Thanks for sharing it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of the most hurtful things ever said to me was "it don't matter". I perceived the message as "I" didn't matter. I know that is a bit of an extreme jump, but it's what I heard. As a parent of 2 teens, I don't want my boys to ever think "it" doesn't matter. It all matters & it is a "big deal" to them in that space of time. I desire live & teach them that if it matters to them, it matters to me. Even if in a few years...the moment won't matter, but THEY ALWAYS WILL!!♡

    ReplyDelete